Join CCP this winter as we present this award-winning musical. The story follows a young woman, Percy Talbott, and her journey towards redemption. Out on parole, she follows her dreams to a small town in Wisconsin and finds herself working at Hannah’s Spitfire Grill. The grill is for sale, but there are no takers for the only eatery in the depressed town, so newcomer Percy convinces Hannah to raffle it off. Entry fees are one hundred dollars and the best essay on why you want the grill wins. Soon, mail arrives by the wheelbarrow and things start cookin’ at The Spirfire Grill. For this production we are seeking performers 18 and up.
Vanessa Horrocks, Artistic Director
Kate Callen, Assistant Director
February 17, 18, 19, 24, 25, 26, 2023
St. Joseph Catholic Community, 8701 36th Ave N, New Hope, MN 55427
All are welcome to audition for CCP. For this production we are seeking performers age 18 and up.
- Monday, November 14 – 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm
- Tuesday, November 15 – 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm
- No need to sign up for a time slot. Audition times are allocated in order of arrival. If you don’t want to wait, we recommend arriving later.
Video submission option:
If you are unable to attend auditions in-person you may submit a video of yourself singing your audition selection. Please email your resume and video link to email@example.com by 8:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 15.
CCP Costume Center, 315 6th Ave SE, Osseo, MN 55369
Callbacks for select roles are planned for Wednesday, November 16 in the evening.
Preparing for auditions
- Prepare 32 measures (approximately one minute) of a musical theater song in the style of the show that best suites your voice.
- An accompanist will be provided. Please bring a copy of your music clearly marking your start and end point for the pianist. Do not staple your music.
- You will be asked to complete an audition form. Feel free to bring a performance resume but it is not required.
- Bring a listing of all your potential rehearsal conflicts in January and February 2023.
- Bring a headshot. A simple selfie is all that is needed.
- First rehearsal is currently scheduled for January 2.
- We rehearse weekday evenings. Not all cast members will be called to every rehearsal.
- Rehearsal locations will vary in the NW suburban area.
- All cast members will be asked to contribute a $30 participation fee to cover costume costs along with a script deposit.
|PERCY TALBOTT||20s-30s Pretty, if a bit rough-edged, her face declares the strength of her youth and a sadness beyond her years. Her accent has a southern Appalachian cadence. Strong folk/country belt to ‘D’, some head voice required.|
|HANNAH FERGUSON||50s-70s. A tough-skinned and flinty old bird with a short, no-nonsense manner bordering on the bitter. Mezzo/alto chest range.|
|SHELBY THORPE||20s-40s. A plain, soft-faced creature with a shy, almost ethereal manner. Shimmering folk soprano with strong high belt to ‘D’.|
|CALEB THORPE||20s-40s. Out-of-work foreman of the stone quarry. Frustrated working man clinging to the past. Solid folk/rock voice with an edge (Top ‘G’).|
|SHERIFF JOE SUTTER||20s-30s. A young small-town policeman with an appealing intensity and a restless nature. Strong folk tenor to a ‘G’ (touches an ‘A’).|
|EFFY KRAYNECK||30s-50s. Postmistress and busybody, a woman with narrow eyes and a sour tongue. Solid singer in mezzo/alto chest range. Carries close harmony.|
|THE VISITOR||20s-40s. A mysterious figure who never speaks. An actor with powerful eyes and a very strong sense of his body.|
|Ensemble||In addition to the named characters we are looking to cast a small chorus of 3-5|
Note: All characters (besides Percy) speak in a midwestern accent without countrified intonations.